I normally don’t do this but a friend of mine has been encouraging me to post before and after photos of myself in my journey to a healthier skinnier me. Since I feel like I still have a long way to go and I hate getting my picture taken. This is a little out of my comfort zone.
When we first moved up to this area (June 2009) I had set a goal for myself to lose all the weight I gained after having surgery and being afraid to move and exercise like I used to before the surgery. When we moved up here I was shocked to see the scale read that I was close to 200 pounds. I felt like giving up and not start my goal at all. I started feeling bad about myself, wasn’t happy and was in a bad mood pretty much all of the time. I tried to put on a happy face but since I felt uncomfortable with myself I didn’t want to get out and do things. We had a pool right outside our door when we were in the apartment and I got in it maybe twice the whole summer. I stayed inside, didn’t go to any church Relief Society activities, went to the store and that was about it.
When we got the news that we were getting the keys to our home (Jan 2010) I said to myself, ok you, you gotta get your butt in gear and get this weight off!! Be healthy for your kids and yourself. We bought a scale and I was a little scared to get on it. It took me a few days but I finally did it. I cried as I saw it was over 200 pounds. 210. I never reached that while I was pregnant with my kids. How did I let it get this bad? I felt like a loser. My self confidence really went down hill. I’ve tried several diets and lost a couple of pounds here and there but nothing really stuck. I was playing the yo-yo game with my weight and it was getting frustrating. A year went by and I was still unhappy with the way my weight was going. Stuck in the 190 pound range I set a new goal for 2011. I told myself no more diet fads. Yes, I tried laser lipo, which didn’t work. I decided eating healthy was the only way to lose the weight. I had a lot of challenges ahead with the many years of unhealthy eating and eating out instead of cooking at home. If I did cook at home it was something that was quick and unhealthy. At first I took away sodas. Banned them from our home. Next was store bought cookies and treats. If we wanted them they had to be homemade. I figured if I wanted to work for the goodies it would put me in the mood to not want it. My next biggest challenge was to get my family on board with me. They had to learn to not ask for the candy bar at the check out isle. Movie night is just movie night and not full of popcorn and candies. No more eating out. An occasional trip to Costco, yes they could get a hot dog and the soda there but that was it. Our last trip they all said the soda tasted funny. So the dumped it out, a couple got water and the others got the lemonade. I started eating more fruits and veggies, less bread and no pastas. Chicken, pork and fish, no beef. If I do have a sweet dessert in the house I have a very very small piece. I read the serving suggestion on the labels and eat that. If the carb count is too high I stay away from it. Training my body to eat this way has been a challenge but I am finding I am not craving the potato chips, candies, and sodas. If I feel like a little treat I am eating an apple or carrots. I heard to eat healthier you need to stay away from the inner isles at the store and shop the outer isles. It’s funny how all the stores are set up that way. Freezer sections are off limits too.
I am finding I have more energy, in a better mood and I do get out more. My neighbor and I get together to go to a yoga class. I do workout videos at home. Walk on the treadmill, we walk to the pool when we go swimming. I take the baby I baby sit on walks to the park. My kids are joining me with a lot of this stuff and that makes it easier on me so I don’t feel like I am taking any time away from them.
To date (Aug 2011) I have lost 40 pounds. I am down from a size 18 to a size 12. I tried on a pair of size 10 jeans last night and I could button them and zip them but they were just a little too snug for me so I’m not quite there yet. I still have quite the journey to go to get to my goal. With the new healthy way I’m eating and the exercise I am getting I know I will make it there. I just need to keep this will power up and the confidence that I can do this to make it there.
Before
(This is how most of the pictures are of me back then. I'm covering up or sitting down so it's hard to find a better photo for the before)
After

1 comments:
Good Job!!!
I'm so proud of you for having the courage to post this! I know how hard it is to talk about weight loss and it takes a long time to get comfortable. You're looking great! And you're totally right about the sugar cravings going away. Once you get used to not having sugar it doesn't taste as good and you feel a lot better. Keep up the good work!
*Hugs* CJ
Post a Comment